Wednesday 13 November 2019

Veikk A15 Graphics Tablet Review

Having took the plunge and purchased a Veikk VK1560 graphics display tablet last year after reading favourable reviews in the online design community, as they were a brand I hadn't heard of up until that point (you can read the review here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/R1WWUZK2VUB3V1/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07DK7CQSP) I wanted to purchase a smaller, more traditional graphics tablet, so once again thought I'd try Veikk, having been quite impressed with the VK1560.

I went for the fairly recently released Veikk A15, which is a 10x6 inch tablet that comes in 4 'colours' - I went with the red version, but other than that, they are all exactly the same :)

Starting with the outer packaging, the design of the box looks very professional being a trendy black colour with a nice shot of the graphics tablet taking centre stage. Inside, the items are packed away nice and tidily and well protected, with the tablet in a protective bag/envelope and the cable and pen in 'slots' within the cardboard tray - once again, there is no driver CD, but a round CD-like card with the URL to download the latest sofware from their website (which is par for the course these days). A glove is also provided with the usual USB cable. There is no 'pen holder' as such, but it does come in it's own stiff protective case or pocket I guess you'd call it - see the photo for more details!

Theres also a User Guide, 20 replacment pen nibs and a tool for swopping them out/over.

The tablet is quite light and is thin (9mm), but sturdy. The build quality seems good. On the left is 12 shortcut keys which you can customise if you so wish - I always seem to leave them to the default settings. The tablet was bigger than I expected as its the work area that is 10x6, but fits on my desk perfectly - it uses a USB-C lead from the tablet which is 'right angled'.

The red wheel 'thing' doesnt do anything - its purely for decoration, but looks nice, with the Veikk logo sitting inside. Below that on the left are the shortcut keys, but the tablet can actually be reversed i.e. flipped round and used by any left handed designers/users out there.

Like its big brother with the VK1560 tablet, the pen is battery free and uses 'magic' to work! It too feels light and isn't too 'fat' to hold - I found it quite easy to draw with in Photoshop and has two buttons - one acting as a 'right click' for contextual menus and the other for alternating between 'pen and 'rubber' function - very useful!

I was able to use the tablet with no issues in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign on Windows 10 - I have yet to use it on a Mac as currently I've got the aforementioned VK1560 tablet plugged into that, but I understand the drivers you download will work with all Veikk tablets i.e. I can unplug the VK1560 and swop straight over to the A15 and it will work straight away.

Make sure you tick the 'Windows Ink' function in the software to get variant width lines when you draw (the pen has 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity).

Other than Wacom, Veikk are the only other tablet/brand I've used. So far I've been very pleased with both the price and quality of the two tablets I now use/own. The market has seen quite a few (cheaper) alternatives now to Wacom i.e. Huion, XP-Pen etc but although I can't comment on them, I think for the forseeable future I'll stick with Veikk - it will be interesting to see what else they can produce in the future.














1 comment:


  1. That looks like a great tablet! Thanks for the suggestion!

    But I would go for a XPPen ( https://www.xp-pen.com ), as a professional digital sculptor I use the Star G640 model also had the Deco 01 V2... You get a lot for what you pay. I rather get more bang for my buck!

    ReplyDelete

Meanwhile, in Highams Park...

Here's some screenshots taken from a recent video shot by Steve B Graphics Studio Ltd . with my new shiny DJI Mini 2 SE Drone of Highams...